Aboriginal Disability Justice Campaign (ADJC)
The Aboriginal Disability Justice Campaign (ADJC) is a national campaign addressing the incarceration of people with cognitive impairments in jails and psychiatric institutions as a result of being found unfit to plead / mentally impaired.
A significant number of Aboriginal people with cognitive impairment are currently being held in maximum security prisons, despite not having been convicted or sentenced for a crime that would require them to be held in such a facility.
National Summit: A Line In The Sand
A Line in the Sand National Summit
November 2014: The Line in the Sand Action Statement 81kb
Findings by the Australian Human Rights Commission
The Attorney General has today tabled in Parliament the Findings by the Australian Human Rights Commission regarding four Indigenous Australians indefinitely detained in the Northern Territory
- Response of the Commonwealth 631kb - 2 December 2014
- Commonwealth fails people with disability and contravenes human rights obligations 72kb - 2 December 2014
- Australian Human Rights Commission response 87kb - 29 August 2014
- Notice under s 29 of Australian Human Rights Commission Act 1986 (Cth) 650kb - August 2014
The Aboriginal Disability Justice Campaign (ADJC) is a collection of volunteers from around Australia who are concerned about the imprisonment and indefinite detention of people with a cognitive impairment and its particular disproportionate impact of Indigenous Australians
First Peoples Disability Network (FPDN) is a national peak organisation. First People's Disability Network aims to be a strong voice of and for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people with disability and their families.
Mr Marlon Noble
Ms Roseanne Fulton
The ADJC is campaigning on this issue across Australia.
This situation is in breach of Australia’s human rights obligations, including those rights contained in the:
- The International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR)
- UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD)
- Un Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination (CERD)